Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- COFFEE CAKE:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, mix walnuts, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon.
- 2. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- 3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add egg yolks. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- 4. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- 5. Pour half of the batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with walnut mixture. Pour in remaining batter. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Editor’s Note: For easier removal of cakes, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans.
1 slice: 540 calories, 29g fat (14g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 323mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake
"awesome coffee cake. was a little more work than some recipes but well worth the effort."
"There were many steps in this recipe and you dirtied several bowl. The cake was moist but the taste was average. It looked great but I probably will not make it again. There are better coffee cakes ."
"My mom made the same exact coffee cake when I was growing up. I loved this too !!!"
"I gave this 3 stars because the streusel layer was actually too thick, and caused my cake to partially separate when removing from the pan. Next time I will use less ingredients in the streusel layer, and perhaps the nuts should be listed as finely chopped. Simply chopping the nuts causes the streusel layer to be too chunky and not stick to the cake itself. The flavor of this cake is good, however."
"This coffee cake is delicious! I halved the recipe and baked it in a 8 in. square pan at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes and it turned out perfect! Very moist and fluffy! Just a side note: next time I'm going to make a little more streusel for the ribbon in the middle as half of the amount only made spots instead of an actual ribbon in the cake. I will be making this again!!"
"I am still in the process of this cooking. It is a chore making this but I am sure going to be well worth the time and efford. I will come back and let you know!!!"