- 3/4 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Add water. Stir in walnuts. Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 1-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly with a buttered glass. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- For filling, in a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add sugar and orange peel; beat until smooth. Spread over the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forWalnut Sandwich Cookies
"there's a special taste that make them... not so ordinary. you have to be careful though not to bake the cookies too much, or they will be too crunchy!"