Walnut Raspberry Ribbons
Bake up these lovely raspberry ribbons the next time you’re looking for a sweet pastry to include on your holiday dessert platter.—Jane Ozment, Purcell, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, brown sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the butter, water and milk to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened.
- Add eggs and extract; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- For filling, combine the raspberries, walnuts, sugar and lemon zest; set aside. In a microwave, melt jam.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18x8-in. rectangle; spread each with jam and sprinkle with filling. Fold dough in half lengthwise; cut each rectangle into 12 strips. Twist strips at center; place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
To Make Ahead: Prepare dough as directed. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Fill and bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 238 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Raspberry Pink Ribbons in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010