Walnut Orange Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, buttermilk and orange zest. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture just until blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean.
- In a bowl, combine the orange juice and brown sugar until dissolved. Spoon over warm muffins. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 356 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 26, 2019
I've made this recipe before and remembered that it was too sweet for our family's taste, but otherwise delicious, so I cut the sugar back to 3/4 cup. I think it could easily be cut back to 1/2 cup. I also added more walnuts than called for. After making it this time I realized I had forgotten that there is too much glaze for the number of muffins and it's too thin, in my opinion. Next time I will cut the amount of orange juice back to 1/2 cup and the brown sugar back to 1/3 cup. Other than these tweaks, it's a keeper.
Apr 7, 2013
Very most and delicious!
Nov 28, 2010
These were wonderful. They were very moist. I did add more walnuts. My husband loves nuts of any kind.I added this recipe to my favorite muffins.