Walnut Orange Muffins
From her home in Spearville, Kansas, Pat Habiger shares the recipe for these glazed orange muffins. They're so moist, butter isn't needed. Serve them warm with mugs of coffee or hot apple cider.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, buttermilk and orange zest. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture just until blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean.
- In a bowl, combine the orange juice and brown sugar until dissolved. Spoon over warm muffins. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 356 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Walnut Orange Muffins in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Apr 7, 2013
Very most and delicious!
Nov 28, 2010
These were wonderful. They were very moist. I did add more walnuts. My husband loves nuts of any kind.I added this recipe to my favorite muffins.