VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 7 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons maple flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- BROWNED BUTTER GLAZE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons warm water
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, walnuts, 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and maple flavoring; add to dry ingredients and beat until well blended. In a small bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and remaining sugar on medium speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert the pan onto a wire rack; cool completely. Carefully run a knife around edges of pan and center tube to loosen; remove cake.
- For glaze, heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until golden brown. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Walnut-Maple Chiffon Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p138