Walnut Graham Torte
This torte is great to take to someone's house for dinner - I rarely have any to bring back home. It reminds me of desserts my grandma used to make.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Combine graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and mix well. Fold in apples and 3/4 cup walnuts.
- Spread into three greased 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form; spread between layers and on top of torte. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 590 calories, 43g fat (21g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Walnut Graham Torte in Country Extra September 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.