- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Vanilla Glaze, Vanilla Drizzle or Vanilla Frosting (recipes also in Recipe Finder)
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, sugar, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into a 12-in. x 7-in. oval. In a bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Spread down the middle third of each stollen. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edge lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheets; curve ends slightly. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Top with vanilla glaze, drizzle or frosting. Yield: 3 loaves.
Reviews forWalnut-Filled Stollen
"I found this reciepe several years ago. It is a consistant winner every time I make it. It's also easy to make."