- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, butter, milk, salt, 5 cups flour and remaining sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts.
- Punch dough down. On a floured surface, roll into a 21-in. circle; cut into four wedges. Spread filling over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up each wedge from the wide end; place point side down on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Curve ends to form crescents. Cut slits in pastry. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over coffee cakes. Cut each into 12 slices. Yield: 4 coffee cakes (12 slices each).
Reviews forWalnut-Filled Coffee Cakes
"This is absolutely wonderful - great that you can do most of the work ahead of time - tastes almost like a cinnamon bun you get at the mall - Absolutely a keeper!"