Walnut Date Swirl Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the dates, 1/4 cup sugar, water, nuts and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for 30 minutes.
- 3. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4-in.-thick rectangle. Spread with date mixture; roll up jelly-roll style, starting at a long end. Wrap with waxed paper. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- 4. Remove waxed paper. Cut into 1/8-in. to 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 4 dozen.
2 each: 154 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Walnut Date Swirl Cookies
"The flavor on these is good, but the cookies came out too soft and when trying to store them they got very gooey."