- 1-1/2 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, combine the dates, 1/4 cup sugar, water, nuts and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4-in.-thick rectangle. Spread with date mixture; roll up jelly-roll style, starting at a long end. Wrap with waxed paper. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- Remove waxed paper. Cut into 1/8-in. to 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews forWalnut Date Swirl Cookies
"The flavor on these is good, but the cookies came out too soft and when trying to store them they got very gooey."