- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine the dates, water and butter; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, walnuts, baking soda and salt. Stir in the eggs, vanilla and date mixture just until moistened. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil if top browns to quickly. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forWalnut Date Bread
"This recipe is horrible, certainly does not yield two loaves. baking time is way off, bottom burnt and stuck to pan. I would never make this recipe again."
"My husband enjoys these moist tasty loaves. The recipe is easily halved if you only want 1 loaf. I have also frozen the extra loaf with good results."
"So easy to make and so wonderful to taste!"