Walnut-Crusted Wheat Loaves
This moist flavorful round bread from our Test kitchen has a wonderful balance of both white and wheat flours. Pass a basket of wedges with creamy butter.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, wheat germ, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the water, honey and shortening to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in walnuts and enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each portion into a ball; flatten slightly. Place on two greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- For glaze, in a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened. Brush over top of loaves. With a sharp knife, make several shallow slashes across the top of loaves. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 216 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.