Walnut Cranberry Orzo
Judith Comstock of Salado, Texas came up with this delightful side dish after becoming fascinated by the tiny pasta. With red pepper, cranberries, walnuts and Parmesan, it's as colorful as it is flavorful.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute red pepper and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, cranberries and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Drain orzo; toss with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with walnuts and Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 283 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Bog Pasta in Light & Tasty December/January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.