Walnut Cranberry Coffee Cake
With plenty of crunchy nuts and tart cranberries, this coffee cake is perfect for Christmastime breakfasts. It's also a great take-along item for potlucks because it's easily portable.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, cranberry sauce, orange zest and cinnamon; spoon over batter. Top with remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.