This recipe is over 70 years old. It came from the grandmother of a friend of my son's, when he was a Boy Scout. This was his troop's favorite cookie. -June Grimm, San Rafael, California
Recommended: 20 Recipes for Your Christmas Cookie Swap
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, beat egg. Add brown sugar, flour, vanilla and baking powder; mix well. Stir in nuts and coconut. Pour over hot crust. Bake 15 minutes longer or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter and juices in a mixing bowl; beat until smooth. Spread over filling; sprinkle with nuts. Chill for 1-2 hours or until frosting is set. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Walnut Cookie Strips in Reminisce Extra February 2002, p52