Walnut Cookie Strips
This recipe is over 70 years old. It came from the grandmother of a friend of my son's, when he was a Boy Scout. This was his troop's favorite cookie. -June Grimm, San Rafael, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg. Beat in the brown sugar, flour, vanilla and baking powder. Stir in nuts and coconut. Pour over hot crust. Bake 15 minutes longer or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, butter and juices until smooth. Spread over filling; sprinkle with nuts. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until frosting is set. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 105 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Walnut Cookie Strips in Reminisce Extra February 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.