From Allen, Texas, Emajo Wilson shares this delightful and delectable recipe for her favorite coffee cake. Moist, buttery and boxed-cake-mix simple, it’s also a favorite with family and friends.
Recommended: Our Best Coffee Cake Recipes Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 package (18-1/2 ounces) butter recipe golden cake mix
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add cake mix; mix well. Beat in sour cream just until combined.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine the filling ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Top with remaining batter. Cut through with a knife to swirl.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Walnut-Cinnamon Coffee Cake in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p11