Walnut Cherry Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + chilling
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until crumbly; stir in the eggs and salt. Combine flour and baking soda; stir into sugar mixture until combined. Drain cherries, reserving 1/2 cup juice; set juice aside. Gently stir cherries and walnuts into sugar mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over cake; refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in reserved cherry juice until smooth. Stir in food coloring if desired. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Just before serving, drizzle over whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 403 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 364mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 9, 2014
a disaster. Had I not added one additional egg, 1/4 cup of almond oil and a 1/4 cup of milk, this would have been a solid hockey puck....to say it 'pours' is a joke. Terrible. But if you do use my modifications, it takes an hour to bake and the edges need to be covered with foil for the last 15 minutes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.