Walnut Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Orange gel food coloring and fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients until well blended. Stir in carrots and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Tint a small amount of frosting orange for the carrot if desired. Frost cake with plain frosting. Cut into squares. Pipe an orange carrot onto each square; add a parsley sprig for the carrot top if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise in this recipe.
Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 543 calories, 31g fat (9g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 14, 2015
I had a hard time getting past the mayo. I don't know. It just creeped me out. I couldn't really taste it but my brain wanted to taste it. I think if I didn't know it was in there I wouldn't have been able to taste it. Anyway the creep factor earned it a 4 star rating. I did use gluten free cake mix the texture was great. For the frosting I mixed vanilla frosting with about 6 oz. of cream cheese. That was great. a quick fix. I also added extra cinnamon and raisins.
Jul 13, 2008
Impressive dessert for little effort. The cake turned out moist and delicious. I added about a tbsp of vanilla and used fat free mayo.Excellent keeper recipe!