Walnut Butter Spread
This healthy alternative spread will have you making more of your own homemade spreads in just minutes. It's so simple and you know exactly what's going into it. —Bryan Kennedy, Kaneohe, Hawaii
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 cups walnut halves, toasted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Whole wheat bread slices, toasted
- Apricot preserves, optional
- Brie cheese, optional
- Place walnuts, orange peel, pepper and salt in a food processor; cover and process until creamy. Spread on toast, with preserves and Brie if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons (calculated without bread, preserves and cheese): 263 calories, 26g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Walnut Butter Sandwich with Prune Spread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015