Walnut Butter Crunch
Maybe it's the extra butter that makes this lip-smacking crunch so delectable. It takes a long time to make, but my family and friends insist it's worth every minute!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + cooling
MakesAbout 2-1/2 pounds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 cups butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Grease a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cube remaining butter; add to sugar mixture. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Stir in walnuts. Immediately spread into prepared pan. Cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle or spread over candy. Sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts. Break into pieces.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 381 calories, 30g fat (14g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Walnut Butter Crunch in Country Woman Christmas 2005