Walnut Apple Rice
“I have been making this delicious rice dish for many years and get requests for the recipe often,” writes Janice Mitchell of Aurora, Colorado. “It's easy to fix when you are in a hurry and goes well with pork dishes.”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add the water, cider, salt and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, apple and walnuts. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 173 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Walnut Cider Rice in Quick Cooking September/October 2005
Oct 12, 2011
I used regular white rice, just stirred in the apples and walnuts at the end of steaming and replaced the lid to let stand. I also omitted the cinnamon. This was good and nice for a change.