- 4 to 5 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- In a bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine the sugars, nuts, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apples and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. Add apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is bubbly. cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forWalnut Apple Pie
"Are the walnuts missing from the recipe directions here?"
"I accidentally forgot the tapioca, so it was very runny, but it was still delicious! I would recommend using at least five large apples for this recipe if you want the filling piled as high as it is in the picture."