Walnut Apple Cake with Butter Sauce
Loaded with tart apples and crunchy walnuts, this cake is fun to take to potlucks or family gatherings. The sweet buttery sauce tops off pieces just right.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 3)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in apples and walnuts. Spoon into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. In a saucepan, combine sugar, butter and cream; mix well. Cook over low heat until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Serve warm with the cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 406 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Walnut Apple Cake in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.