- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Walnut halves, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff). Stir in apples and walnuts. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. For the sauce, combine sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cut cake into squares; top with warm sauce. Garnish with walnut halves if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forWalnut Apple Cake
"Big hit at our house. Our neighbors son wants one for his graduating party and one for himself !"
"10/3/14 Made this last night for me and hubby- so good - thanks for sharing - only half left and it isn't even 24 hours yet...:)"
"I absolutely love this cake! So moist, and not too sweet or rich- I could eat a whole pan. And the sauce gives it that "milk and cookies" vibe, you have to have one with the other. I shredded the tart apples so there are no surprise chunks :)"
"I baked it for 50 min. and it tested done but was gooey. The flavor of the cake was good but didn't care for the sauce."