- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, stir oats and orange juice until softened; set aside. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars; beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to the creamed mixture alternately with oat mixture. Stir in walnuts and orange zest. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, orange zest and juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in coconut and walnuts. Gently spread over warm cake. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until the topping is bubbly. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forWalnut Orange Coffee Cake
"I made this for the volunteers of a fund drive at a local public radio station in Philly (XPN). Both staff and volunteers had this, and it went quick! People from all over the station were asking for the recipe! Gotta give credit where credit is, due, Janice! I had less than 2 cups coconut on hand, which I think was enough. I also added more cinnamon and some Jamaican Allspice to the cake for some savory. Also, a dash of ground black pepper to counter the sweet in the topping. More or less (more for me) orange peel to taste. Thanks!"
"Friends and family favorite, I cut back on the walnut topping, use 3/4 cup instead of 1 1/2. Added 1tsp cinnamon to the cake batter."
"this is so good. , really every time I make it everyone wants the recipe,and it smells so good cooking, I can't wait to have some.. I have made many times, and will make it many more. Thanks so sharing..."