Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium chili seasoning mix
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 can (15 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 5 packages (1 ounce each) corn chips
- Toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in chili seasoning mix, pepper, tomatoes and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, cut open corn chip bags. Add beef mixture and toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without toppings): 530 calories, 28g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1017mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 24g protein.
Jun 15, 2019
Delicious, and fun to eat!
May 21, 2019
Freaking fantastic! My kids loved these. there was a debate on the name so we agreed on chili crunch Snack Packs. because these definitely are not tacos and they definitely don't walk!
Jun 19, 2018
Odd..never seen them called "walking tacos" before. This was originally invented in either Santa Fe or San Antonio (depending on who you believe) and is widely know as a "Frito Pie"...
Feb 17, 2018
I thought this might be a fun way to serve Tacos, but I was disappointed in the taste. Nice idea though. I might try a different recipe next time.
Jan 26, 2018
Growing up in 70s Los Angeles these were called chili fritos and the ice cream man sold them from his truck. They were great then and the great now ??
Aug 8, 2016
Sounds great for kids, but I too am wondering, like ktterry1906, since I had never heard of these, how do you eat them? With fork, or fingers, or just tip up bag and pour into your mouth? Since it's "on the go", I wouldn't think with a fork, but other ways would be pretty messy.
Jun 18, 2016
i loved idea and have had these many times - but this recipe has 1017 mg of sodium... wow! we used reduced sodium chili seasonings... and no salt corn chips (speciality and health food stores sells these kind of corn chips
Jun 6, 2016
always loved Frito pie, so this Frito pie to go is perfect.
Jun 4, 2016
I made these for my sons party when he returned from Afghanistan and all the guys loved them. Perfect for all and I followed your recipe Beverly. I didn't change anything at all and I will be making a bunch of these next month again when he comes home for a small vacation. Thank-you!!!
May 16, 2016
This is a family favorite. This is a classic recipe that has been around a while. We love how easy it is to customize.