Waldorf Lentil Salad
Here's a delicious way to get fiber-rich lentils into your diet. "This salad includes something I discovered years ago: a touch of ground cloves," notes Lily Julow of Lawrenceville, Georgia. "It does amazing things for lentils!"
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Dash ground cloves
- Dash pepper
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 2 Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small saucepan, bring lentils and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, salt, allspice, cloves and pepper until blended. Stir in apple and celery.
- Drain and rinse lentils in cold water. Gently stir into apple mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve on lettuce leaves; sprinkle with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 409 calories, 19g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 403mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 18g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Waldorf Lentil Salad with Apples and Walnuts in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.