- 8 frozen hash brown patties
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound cubed fully cooked ham (2 cups)
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Place hash brown patties in a single layer in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and ham. In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and mustard. Pour over ham.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until edges are golden brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forWake-Up Casserole
"This is super easy to prepare. I put it together the night before and put it in the oven the next morning. I added a small can of chopped green chilies, which tasted great and provided some balance to the richness of the cheese. This dish has A LOT of cheese. I might add some chopped onion or more chilies, and cut back a bit on the cheese next time."
"Isn"t 16 oz 2 cups?"
"This recipe is a favorite! Its great for pot-lucks or bunches. Love it!"
"Love this casserole, and it's a favorite of the hubby as well. I sometimes use tater tots instead of the hash browns, browning them a bit beforehand. I'm making it this week using sausage instead of ham since that's what I have in the house right now. That's one thing that's so good about this casserole; it's very versatile."
"I have been making this recipe for many years since it was first published in the quick Cooking book. Sometime in those years I started relying on memory to make it and apparently my memory is faulty as I have bee using ground ginger instead of mustard and 9 eggs instead of 7. Even with my poor memory skills this casserole is still a favorite of my family. I also usually add a 2 1/2 oz can of sliced olives and a small can of chopped green chilies before putting on the cheese. Wonderful addition to our arsenal of recipes. Thanks!"
"I've made this several times, sometimes I replace ham with cooked sausage or bacon. I have also added chopped brocoli with the ham. It is always good and easy to make."
"This was so good and very quick to make. Thank you!! My family loves it.CA"
"I have made this for several different potluck style occasions. It goes over well everytime. I actually use a little less ham and add the difference in bacon. Everyone always asks for the recipe."