Waffled Pizza Bites
The whole family will love this playful twist on waffles. Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses are sandwiched between two layers of dough and cooked up in the waffle iron. It's like a pizza grilled cheese waffle! —Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 32 slices pepperoni (about 2 ounces)
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce, warmed
- Optional toppings: sliced pepperoni, shredded mozzarella cheese and basil
- In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, basil and oregano. Separate each roll of crescent dough into two 7x6-in. rectangles; seal perforations.
- Place 1 rectangle on a preheated greased 8-in. square waffle maker (dough will not cover entire surface). Layer with half the cheese mixture and half the pepperoni to 1/2 in. of edges; top with another rectangle. Bake until golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Repeat.
- Remove to a cutting board and cool slightly. Cut each rectangle into 4 triangles; serve warm with pizza sauce and, if desired, toppings.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 329 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 909mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as WAFFLED PIZZA DIPPERS in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013