Wacky Argyle Cake
This wacky argyle cake will be the star of your retro Christmas party. Have fun with the decorations and coloring. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makesabout 50 servings
- 2-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4-1/2 cups sugar
- 12 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 to 10 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 package (24 ounces) ready-to-use rolled blue fondant
- 1 package (24 ounces) ready-to-use rolled green fondant
- Red gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line two 13x9-in. baking pans with parchment; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat vanilla. Add flour; mix well. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack; remove paper.
- For frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Using a serrated knife, level tops of cakes if necessary. Place one cake layer on a cake board. Frost top with frosting; spread raspberry filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Reserving one cup of frosting for decoration.
- For fondant argyle: On a work surface dusted with confectioners' sugar, roll out green fondant into an 1/8 inch thick rectangle. Using a 4-inch diamond cutter, cut out 10 diamonds. Repeat with blue fondant. Place fondant diamonds in alternating colors on the top and sides of cake, cutting in half to fit the ends.
- Color reserved frosting red with gel food coloring and place into a piping bag fitted with a number 2 piping tip. Pipe dashed lines diagonally across the fondant diamonds to create an argyle pattern.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 426 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.