Virginia Box Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add eggs, sugar, salt, butter and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch the dough down. On a lightly floured board, roll dough into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer dough to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 14 even squares. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. To serve, separate into rolls. Yield: 14 servings.
1 each: 140 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Virginia Box Bread
"I have been making these for years and they are perfect every time!"