Bring these delicate pastry triangles to a holiday tea party and you’re guaranteed to earn accolades. Featuring a luscious almond filling and a rich chocolate glaze, they also make a lovely hostess gift when wrapped in a decorative box.—Joanne Wright, Niles, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 3 cups sliced almonds
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 laarge egg whites
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Pat into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the almonds, sugar, egg whites, flour, corn syrup and cinnamon; cook over low heat until a thermometer reads 200°, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in extract and baking powder. Spread jam over crust; spread almond mixture over top.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 54 squares; cut each diagonally into two triangles.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip half of each triangle in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
To Make Ahead: Can be made 2 days in advance. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.