- 4 to 5 large Vidalia or sweet onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 slices French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onions in butter until lightly browned. Sprinkle with pepper and flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the broth, water and bay leaf; simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Ladle into ovenproof soup bowls; top with bread and cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forVidalia Onion Soup
"I've made this recipe three times now simply because it is fast, easy and delicious. Taking advantage of Vidalia Onion season!"
"just searching for this one onine as I am away from my cookbooks --this one has been a family favorite for years a good classic french onion soup don't change a thing!"