- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large skillet, cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat until very tender and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Set aside 2 tablespoons onion mixture; fold remaining mixture into batter. Fold in 1/2 cup cheese.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Top with remaining cheese and reserved onion mixture. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over the top.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Cut into wedges; serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forVidalia Onion Custard Bread
"I really want to try this bread - could it be frozen, and re-warmed before serving?"
"My sister shared this recipe with me so I decided to make it with a twist. I only had half a Vidalia onion so I added 3 cloves of minced garlic to the onions as they cooked. I added fresh chopped parsley and fresh thyme to the batter. This bread is delicious and quick to make. I envision making this bread in the fall to be served with homemade soups and stew."