Victorian Plum Conserve
This old-fashioned spicy treat is wonderful spread on scones and toast, used as a tart filling, or served with poultry and ham.
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Process: 10 min. + standing
- 3 medium navel oranges
- 12 ripe plums (about 4 pounds), pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped peeled ripe pears
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Grate the peel from the oranges, reserving the peel (about 1/3 cup). Peel off and discard white membrane; section the oranges. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the orange sections and peel, plums, raisins, pears, sugar, allspice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook for 1 hour or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Pour hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 51 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Victorian Plum Conserve in Country Woman Christmas 2005