- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the zucchini, tomato, oregano and pepper. Cook and stir for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is nearly evaporated. Set aside and keep warm. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form. Place egg substitute in another bowl; fold in egg white mixture.
- Pour into a 10-in. ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Spoon vegetable mixture over one side; sprinkle with half of the cheese. To fold, score middle of omelet with a sharp knife; fold omelet over filling. Transfer to a warm platter. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cut in half to serve. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forVery Veggie Omelet
"This was so tasty and super healthy! We will make again. The only downside was the process. As my husband put it, "why don't we just use this same mix of ingredients, but make our omelet the 'regular' way?""
"I've been making omelets for years, but never could get them as fluffy as I wanted. I finally have the secret! I make this with all different veggie combinations, depending on what i have in the fridge."
"This Omelet is fantastic! It's a bit labor & time intensive, but worth it. I didn't have zucchini and I used whole eggs instead of substitute. Absolutely delicious!"