Very Cherry Ice Cream
This recipe is a favorite at family get-togethers...everyone, from my 80-year-old grandmother to my 2-year-old daughter, enjoys it. I usually mix and chill the ingredients early in the day, then later everyone gets in on cranking the ice cream!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 1 pound fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, coarsely chopped (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine cherries and sugar; set aside. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; set aside. Cook pudding according to package directions, using 3-1/2 cups milk. Add to cherries. Stir in cream, vanilla and prepared gelatin. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cold.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.