Very Cherry Ice Cream
This recipe is a favorite at family get-togethers...everyone, from my 80-year-old grandmother to my 2-year-old daughter, enjoys it. I usually mix and chill the ingredients early in the day, then later everyone gets in on cranking the ice cream!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 1 pound fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, coarsely chopped (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine cherries and sugar; set aside. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; set aside. Cook pudding according to package directions, using 3-1/2 cups milk. Add to cherries. Stir in cream, vanilla and prepared gelatin. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cold.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 220 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 82mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Very Cherry Ice Cream in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.