Very Berry Topping
Frozen berries allow me to prepare this colorful ice cream sauce all year-round. You can also stir in one 20-ounce can of drained pineapple tidbits. —Sheri Rarick, Galloway, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 6 cups
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened blueberries, thawed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened blackberries, thawed
- 3/4 to 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a large bowl, combine the berries; stir in desired amount of sugar. Let stand for 1 hour. Drain and reserve the juice. Return berries to the bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup reserved juice until smooth. Stir in the remaining juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature, stirring several times. Pour over berries and stir gently.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 59 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Topping in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.