Very Berry Melba
I received this recipe from my sister many years ago when we lived in southern Michigan, which has many blueberry farms. We've since moved north and now that my kids eat it all by itself.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a large bowl, combine ice cream, orange juice concentrate and cinnamon. Cover and freeze for 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, combine berries and lemon juice in a saucepan; cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Cool; cover and refrigerate.
- To serve, spoon ice cream into a bowl or parfait glass; top with the berry sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 306 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Very Berry Melba in Country June/July 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.