Versatile Slice ‘n’ Bake Cookies
When you crave a sweet treat or want something fun and festive to make with the grandkids, just pull a cookie dough log from the freezer, slice and pop in the oven. Once baked, these buttery, melt-in-your-mouth cookies from our Test Kitchen will keep for a week…but they‘ll probably disappear much faster!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed candied fruit, optional
- Nonpareils, jimmies, melted semisweet chocolate chips and chopped nuts, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide into three portions. If desired, add candied fruit to one portion. Shape each into a 5-in. roll; place in a freezer bag. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen dough: Remove from the freezer 1 hour before baking. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with nonpareils and jimmies if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Frost with melted chocolate chips and sprinkle with nuts if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 59 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.