- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR OAT PANCAKES:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup water
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR OATMEAL MUFFINS:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR PEACH CRISP:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (21 ounces) peach pie filling
- Ice cream or whipped topping, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt; mix well. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in oats. Store in airtight containers in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 9 cups (number of batches varies depending on recipe used).
- To prepare pancakes: Combine 1-1/2 cups oat mix, egg and water in a bowl; mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes. Pour by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown. Yield: 10 pancakes.
- To prepare muffins: Combine 3 cups oat mix, egg and milk in bowl; mix well. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
- To prepare peach crisp: Combine 2 cups oat mix and brown sugar in bowl; mix well. Pat 1-1/4 cups into a greased 8-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings. Yield: 10 pancakes or 1 dozen muffins or 6-8 servings crisp.
Reviews forVersatile Oat Mix
"I make this up and keep in fridge in airtight container/bag and then just take out 3/4 cup each time I want to make apple crisp for the two of us.....so, so easy and handy to have on hand."