"This mild blend of spices is good to keep on hand," jots Darlene Brenden of Salem, Oregon. "It's so versatile—you can use it to coat chicken, pork or even fish."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT:
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- Combine the first 10 ingredients in a bowl; cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place or freeze for up to 6 months. Yield: 6 batches (3 cups total).
- To prepare chicken: Place 1/2 cup coating mix in shallow bowl or large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and toss to coat. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings per batch.
Originally published as Versatile Coating Mix in Quick Cooking March/April 1998, p61