- 3 bacon strips
- 2 pounds venison stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 7 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 medium potaotes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cooked noodles
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain; reserve drippings in pan. Crumble bacon and set aside. Cook venison and onions in drippings until meat is lightly browned. Add 3 cups water, tomato sauce, soup mix, salt, bay leaf and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and celery; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30-45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in bacon. Discard bay leaf. Serve with cooked noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forVenison Vegetable Stew
"A very good and hearty stew."