- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 pounds venison stew meat
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 7 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Bottled browning sauce, optional
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Brown meat. Add onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt, pepper and water. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Add potatoes and carrots. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes. Mix flour and cold water; stir into stew. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add browning sauce if desired. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forVenison Stew
"made this today....really lovely thank you!!! just a few additions only because the greek in me wanted to!!! other than that I will be making this again!! thanks!"
"very good !! I added 2 cut up apple s , celery only half the onion that it requires because of other reviews , didn't mind. Will be using this one a lot. Thanks."
"I love this recipe! I have been making it since it came out! I clipped it and filed it because it is so good. Very little changes now and then."
"Delicious. I have made this several times and have been delighted."
"This was good! I accidentally doubled the pepper and it was still good. I did add maybe 3/4 cup wine and extra water to cover the potatoes when those were added. Will make again though. Oh, and I cut the onion to just one because I don't like loads of cooked onion in a dish."
"So I made this recipe last night, I had an issue with all f the liquid evaporating and had to add beef broth. Also I added corn and celery into the mix, the flavors were amazing. Definitely going to use this recipe again! Oh and my husband loved it!"
"My husband's review was "This is a manly stew!" We both enjoyed this. Like other reviewers, though, I added beef broth because otherwise there wasn't enough liquid."
"This is awesome. My husband and I get various Venison Meats from Family at different times, and we have tried different recipes this was so good the venison melted in our mouth it was very good"
"this is the best venison stew I changed a little bit and ad some red wine to it."