- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 3 to 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups cold water, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, water chestnuts, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. Crumble the venison and sausage over the mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a skillet over medium heat, brown meatballs in batches in 2 teaspoons oil, adding 1 teaspoon oil if needed. Transfer meatballs to a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 teaspoon oil until tender. Stir in the broth and 1 cup cold water. Pour over the meatballs. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Remove meatballs and mushrooms with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a saucepan. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; add to saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over the meatballs, mushrooms and noodles. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forVenison Sausage Meatballs
"This is the best ground venison recipe that I have tried. We use venison a lot so this is a keeper."
"These were yummy! I didnt add the water chestnuts because I dont like them, but the meatballs were good anyways."