- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless shoulder venison roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 small potatoes, peeled
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Combine the first three ingredients; rub over roast. In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil. Add apple juice, broth, onion, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Add potatoes, carrots and celery; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Thicken pan juices if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forVenison Pot Roast with Vegetables
"My husband is a hunter so I am always looking for good venison recipes and this one is definately a keeper.Very tender, and the combination of spices, apple juice and beef broth gave it a very good flavor!"
"Delicious! Used ww flour instead, sea salt, a truly feral wild boar neck roast, rendered boar lard in place of canola, cider, and water instead of broth. I honestly can't think of anything negative to say, it was delicious and easy to follow! The cider I feel is the better choice here; it gives this recipe a truly original flavor; you will look forward to pot roast night!! Try it!"
"I don't usually care for venison but this recipe has totally changed my mind! My parents couldn't believe it was venison - and my mother has been cooking it for years! This recipe is a keeper for sure."