Venison Chili con Carne Recipe
Kim Vaughn of Hampton, Virginia shares this thick, spicy chili that’s served over rice. “The venison is tender, and the blend of spices, tomatoes and Italian hot sausage gives it plenty of zip,” Kim notes.
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 2 pounds venison steak, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. In the same pan, brown venison in oil; drain. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, oregano, pepper flakes, salt, pepper and sausage mixture. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until venison is tender. Stir in parsley. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 435 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 868mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 46g protein.
Reviews for Venison Chili con Carne
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC