- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in the butter and shortening until crumbly. Combine water, vinegar and vanilla. Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Beat egg wash ingredients; brush over pastry.
- For filling, melt butter and chocolate in a microwave; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs, molasses, vanilla and salt. Stir in chopped pecans and butter mixture. Pour into pastry. Arrange pecan halves over filling.
- Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forVelvety Chocolate Butter Pecan Pie
"Definitely needs a 10in pie plate though!"
"This pie taste divine, however it NEVER had any form of solid center and people should be warned this boils up terribly and has MUCH spill over. I planned to make this for company, but will keep this for the family since they dont care how it looks. :)"
"Mmmmmmm I made this for a dinner party and everyone loved it!"
"What a delicious pie. Made it in a tart pan (with removeable bottom) -- gave it an elegant look and it came out perfect in 65 min."
"Made this and my sister-in-law said 'Omg,it's like a pecan pie and brownie put together'"
"Delicious, but I also cooked it longer than 65 minutes and my knife was not clean when it came out of the pie. I like the gooey center though, so I don't really mind."