Veggies from the Grill
Bright asparagus, yellow summer squash and other vegetables get flame-broiled treatment in this must-try side dish. The grilled specialty gets a flavor boost from red wine vinegar, basil and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup quartered fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, salt and pepper. Add the asparagus, squash, red pepper, onion and mushrooms; seal bag and turn to coat.
- Transfer the vegetables to a grill wok or basket. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Place vegetables in a serving bowl. Add vinegar and basil; toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
Editor's Note: If you do not have a grill wok or basket, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 81 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Grilled Veggie Salad in Light & Tasty June/July 2006